Sunday, January 20, 2013

Substitute Teaching.. Without Pay

This past week, was an interesting week readers. Let me set the stage for you:

  1. Our class picture was on Tuesday... My name gets to be on the picture and EVERYTHING!!! WOOOOO 
  2. It rained. All. Freaking. Week. The kids were stir crazy, and we all came close to drowning on Thursday, before freezing on Friday. (Behold, the great Carolinian Blizzard of 2013!!!) 
  3. My teachers daughter got sick, so she had to leave Wednesday afternoon. (She and her husband took shifts) 
  4. On Thursday, my CT's daughter was still pretty sick, and actually ended up with the flu.... which consequently my CT ended up with was well. This all resulting my CT being out from Wednesday Afternoon through Friday. 


LET ME TELL YOU!!!! It was SOOOOO much fun teaching.... Not that I like my CT being sick, because I really do enjoy working with her, I just had fun feeling like a real teacher!

My CT left it up to me whether or not I wanted to teach all day or just parts of a day. I decided to just go for it! I was able to teach 2 full days, all by myself, in my second week!.... By myself is relative, as a student teacher in my second week, I am not legally allowed to be by myself, so I had two AMAZING substitutes in the classroom with me.
Both subs, by the way, thought I  was AMAZING!
They were so impressed that it was only my 2nd full week in this class.
They joked that I must be lying about that fact. 
:-D
These substitutes just really made me feel great about teaching.
They told me I would have a great career as a teacher! 

ANYWAYS..... 
On Thursday, my students have double specials (meaning they went to both art and media) so that the grade level can have planning. The specials teachers rate the class on a scale of 1-4, 1 being absolutely dreadful and 4 being almost perfect. 

My students.... Got a one................ 
Let me tell you,
I laid it on THICK!!!
They all know better than to earn ones in specials. My CT does not allow this, and neither do I. So we had a very frank discussion, a few minutes of quite reflection on our behavior that day as well as how it should be in the future, as well losing marbles from the class rewards jar. My CT also mentioned that they might have additional privileges taken away this coming week as. She did however, think I handled the situation quite well.  

If you can't tell... I feel pretty proud of myself for what I was able to accomplish this week. I also already have plans written for the week of the 28th, which will be my first week officially teaching a subject. Tomorrow, since it is a day off, I believe I might try to write the following weeks as well. I would SO rather be ahead than behind when it comes these items. 

I hope all of you out there are enjoying the long weekend! 

Until next week readers!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment